Monday, May 28, 2007

Wet = Cold

So, right now I'm sitting in my room, listening to some Aretha Franklin, realizing that my life is pretty great! You know how I was worried that I would move to this new city and be bored and lonely? Well, that was dumb! I have been having SO much fun so far! And I've been meeting some really fun people! I hope this weekend is a good sign for things to come. Today I spent the day out on the river wakeboarding with some of my "new friends". We went out super early in the morning and hit the river before almost anyone else was out there. They were expecting the river to be packed because of the holiday, but it was a little chilly so there was hardly anyone else out on the water. And, by "a little chilly" I mean FREEZING. I don't know if it's because I lived in Southern California for so long but when I'm near the water, I sort of expect it to be warm. I've discovered this weekend that that is a not necessarily the case. The beach was cold, the river was cold, and I've realized that, in Portland, wet generally equals cold. This is a fact and I'm going to have to get used to it. I don't have to like it, but I am going to have to get used to it. I hear in the summer things warm up quite a bit and then it's not so bad. I'll believe it when I see it! But, just because it's cold doesn't mean I'm not having fun! Today was really great and I forced myself to get in the water (with a wet suit) and do some wake boarding. I got up on my first try! I wish I would have handed off my camera to someone to document the feat, but I didn't think I would pop up like I did! So, here is a picture of us freezing on the boat...
And here's a picture of Joe, the owner of the boat.

He's super nice and fun and a very patient wakeboard instructor. I told Jim that Joe is the first honorary member of the J-Crew, Portland edition. Not that you guys could EVER be replaced, but c'mon...he has a BOAT! As much as I totally miss all of my friends, the people here have been very nice and friendly and welcoming. It has made the transition much easier than I expected. Who knows...this could be just one wild and crazy weekend that is not at all indicitive of what life will be like, but it's been a good start. I think the thing that makes me happiest is the fact that everyone here likes to do the things that I like to do. In LA, there was certainly opportunity for doing outdoorsy things...but you always had to look for the opportunity and look for people to join in. Here, it seems like going hiking and boating and camping and doing outdoorsy things are the things that people do. So, I don't have to fit it in or squeeze it in among other things...it's just what people are into, which is really nice. We already have a hike planned for next Saturday at Dog Mountain, and possibly more boating on Friday...depending on when I'm done with work.


This weekend I also had another adventure at church. The ward seems very nice...but it is just really really weird being the new girl on the block. I went from a ward where I knew everyone and felt totally comfortable, to a place where I don't know anyone and feel a bit uncomfortable. I feel a little needy and like I'm a tag along with the people I want to be friends with. It's weird not knowing who to sit with at church and just not knowing anyone. I know that it just takes time and patience and before I know it I'll be fully integrated. But, it's just weird being in this new phase again. It's been a while since I've been in this position.


I start my new job tomorrow!! I'm really excited but also pretty nervous. I'm supposed to be the addictions expert at an outpatient VA clinic. YIKES!! I'm not sure how that happened because I don't feel like much of an expert...but hopefully I'll do a good enough job of faking it! Wish me luck!

4 comments:

Amy said...

Yay! I'm glad that the transition is going smoothly.

Jim Cunliffe said...

I'm sorry, but its not possible to 'BUY' your way into the J-Crew. It will still have to be discussed with The Committee, as well as establishing our crew in different cities. We will let you know.

courtney said...

Are you kidding me? Boats! Do you know how much time and energy I've put into trying to convince other people that they should buy boats and take me out on them ...and you land right on top of one?! Soooo lucky.

Jessica said...

How is your job going?! How are the new coworkers?

I miss you. I came home from work last night and looked across the street... wishing you were there to talk to! =) I'm definitely going to have to come visit you this summer. Portland looks AMAZING!

As for Joe being inducted into the Portland edition of the J-Crew... he'd better be pretty cool by all standards to get that recognition! I'll discuss with my compadre's and let you know.