Thursday, March 13, 2008

Extracurricular Activities

Has anyone ever asked you what your hobbies are or what you enjoy doing? I think it's a fairly common question, particularly when meeting new people. I always have a really hard time answering it, though it should be fairly simple, right? What do you like to do? My problem is not that I can't come up with anything, but that I have a tremendously hard time narrowing it down. I like to do just about everything. I'll try anything once and I like to pretend that I'm "in" to lots of stuff. My problem is that I sort of jump from activity to activity and never really get good at any of them. My commitment problems are blatantly manifest in the way I spend my leisure time.

I've recently semi-committed to two extracurricular activities that I've loved for a long long time. First off, I joined an indoor soccer team. My friend Jenn from DC moved to Portland a few months ago and graciously invited me to join her team. We're called the Leftovers...and it's a pretty good description. We're certainly not the best team on the league, but we sure do have a lot of fun. Re-committing to this sport has made it painfully clear how out of shape I am. I thought going to my yoga class once a week and occasionally doing the elliptical machine was keeping me fairly fit. That might be true, but cardiovascularly I'm a mess. After about 3 minutes of running around the field like a mad-woman, I was so dizzy that I thought I was going to pass out. I couldn't catch my breath and my lips were tingling!! In an effort not to look like a pansy, I stayed in for another 5 minutes and then thought it was a good time to give another girl a chance to play. I was so tired I could hardly lift my hand to ask for a sub. Jenn had warned me about this but I was deaf to her words of caution. Once I subbed out I went straight to the bathroom because I thought I was going to throw up. Fortunately, I kept all my fluids in my body, where they belong, and I returned to the bench to lay down for a second. The ref even asked me if I was ok. One of the other ladies on the team had pulled her quad, so that made me the only sub. I was back in for round 2. This time I did much better, primarily because I paced myself (read - hardly chased after the ball and only exerted energy when it was absolutely necessary). By the end of the game my legs were like lead and I could hardly move them. I managed to pull my groin the next day at yoga, so I was a bit of a mess for a few days. Last night's game was MUCH better. It was still a little rough, but I wasn't going into a panic due to lack of oxygen and threat of unconsciousness. Ahhhh, I love exercising...seriously.

On the other side of the spectrum, I've picked up knitting again. It's been a long time since I've taken up the needles, probably since the good ol' days of the knitting group on Cheryl's couch in LA. Man, those were good times. Well, I've formed my own little knitting group up here in Portland. It consists of me and Q-tip mama, Ellen. She's teaching me to knit these fantastic fingerless gloves. It will certainly be my most ambitious project to date, but I think I'm up to the task. They might take me several months to complete, at which time gloves might be out of season, but hey...I'll have a brand new pair for next year, right? It's especially fun because I get to hang out with Ellen in her adorable house. She's been laid up with a broken ankle for a couple of weeks, so I like to think that it's a mutually beneficial relationship. I get to enjoy her company, sandwiches, and knitting skills and she gets a break from the boredom of being couch bound. It's a win win!!

7 comments:

Ryan said...

Always excitable. Your soccer playing is so Renee. Getting so excited and giving your all. You are a champion.

Anonymous said...

Go fig, your big booty post is getting all the comment love but I couldn't let this--your triumphal return to the blogosphere--go unnoticed. I take partial credit, because that's the sort of thing I do...

I. Love. Extracurriculars.

It's why I long to live the movie Groundhog Day. To have time stop and give you a chance to learn to play piano, a foreign language, or whatever floats your boat would be awesome.

That and punching Ned Rierson in the face. Awesome.

Welcome back! ;)

Rachel Mai said...

Oh, Renee--I've had the same experience w/ basketball. Now that I'm exercising regularly that would hopefully not be the case. But I love how honest you are about.

Happy Knitting!!!

Brecken said...

love the name of the team. couldn't be funnier. I find I have the same problem with hobbies...up for anything...really not great at any of it.

courtney said...

softball--nearing the bottom rung of what counts as physical exertion, and yet 2 and a half hours of practice on friday night still has my legs searing everytime I lift to cross them. ugh. i hate running, renee, i hate it. why does this post give me the impression that you were running all over the field phoebe-style for that first period...i love that the ref asked if you were ok!

Kim, Byron H & M said...

That is the funniest blog ever! If YOU are out of shape, it is VERY sad for the rest of us. I'm with Courtney--the best part is that even the Ref asked if you were okay. And your false alarm trip to the bathroom--that's pretty darn serious!

I miss you, little butt! I couldn't comment on your next blog, because I feel like you are denying your cultural heritage by stuffing...

Phoebe said...

Here is the thing. If you were feeling out of shape at your first game, shouldn't I be feelings mroe in shape after game 16?
Why is this not the case?