Saturday, June 2, 2007

Happy National Trail Day!!

In celebration of what now might be my favorite holiday (National Trail Day, June 2nd) my roommate and two friends and I went and hiked Dog Mountain which is up the Columbia River Gorge about 40 miles East of Portland (on the Washington Side). We actually didn't know that it was National Trail Day, but were pleasantly surprised when we found out and realized that it meant we didn't have to pay for parking at the trailhead!! The hike basically kicked my trash...but it was amazing! It's about a 7-8 mile loop (3.8 miles to the summit) with a 2850 ft elevation gain. It made me realize just how out of shape I really am. I inched my way up some of those switch backs all the while chanting in my head, just keep putting one foot in front of the other, you can make it! All of the huffing and puffing was well worth it for the amazing view of the Columbia River and the beautiful wildflower meadows. As if I needed more reason to love living in Oregon!! It was simply breathtaking (in more ways than one). It was also fun to hang out with the girls and get to know them better. I think that's one reason that I love hiking so much...there's nothing to do but walk and talk and it always leads to interesting conversations.



This is me and my roommate Jill. She's rad.



This weekend was also the start of the famous Rose Festival in Portland. I haven't had a chance to check out a lot of the festivities, but on Friday night, some friends and I went downtown to see the fireworks. I don't know if everyone knows this about me, but I LOVE fireworks! They make me so happy...sitting on the grass with good friends, watching the beautiful display of lights in the air, usually to the tune of some classic rock song or a good ol' American pride ditty, feeling the boom as the fireworks go off and waiting in anticipation to see if they'll be as big as they sound. I just love 'em. This display was no disappointment. They were shot off over one of the many bridges in Portland it was a great show.



This is a picture of the river with all of the boats on it before the fireworks started.


This is me and my roommate Amy at the fireworks. She's also rad, and totally responsible for my thriving social life.

These are some of the Portland peeps. From left to right, top row: tom and shannon (my new bumble connection), second row: brooke, kaydi (who's decided to stay...yippeee!) and me, third row: korie (also responsible for my fun filled life), cindy and amy (roomie).



4 comments:

Evan said...

And a happy national trail day to you, too.

Me, I'm a silent hiker. I don't know why, but I also prefer silence when I'm getting my haircut which is always really awkward at barber shops.

However, I too L-O-V-E fireworks. Sitting with your peeps on a blanket in the grass and oohing and aahing with everyone else. And because virtually the only times that we bust out fireworks are in honor of "Patriotic" holidays (or at baseball games) it is that much cooler. Love it!

Anna said...

when I come out and see you (whenever i do) you'll have to take me on a hike!! I'm sure I'll trip once or twice but it would be fun!

Jessica said...

I like fireworks too.

Dora said...

Little Nee nee, I've been lurking on your blog and following your progress. Sounds like you're having a fantastic time settling in to your new digs. I'm not surprised that you're making new friends and finding a bazillion ways to be happy, just extraordinarily happy for you.

Fireworks will always have that wonder-factor for me. From the 4th of July, to the Star of David, to eclipses, humanity has always looked to the night sky for portents of good things to come.

The last fireworks I saw were those at the end of Ocean's Thirteen. Okay, not quite the same as seeing them against an inky sky, but fun nonetheless.